Saturday 16 October 2010

The Distractions

I've written about this band before. I've written  of how they saw me through my university years in Manchester how almost 30 years later they still remain the group I have seen the most times and how I still listen to their songs.
Well , like lots of bands they are back. Not all the original line up (shame) but with Mike Finney and Steve Perrin the main song writing duo plus others. They have released an EP, Black Velvet available from Occultation. Its worth a punt and there is more to come. I am excited by this. Mike Finney's voice is still the blueprint of  top quality pop/rock for me, reminiscent of, but better than, R Dean Taylor. The music is the  guitar based pop that jangles and makes my feet move every time. Why this band weren't huge I will never  know.
Here is a website about them where you can keep up to date with their plans for more releases. Unfortunately the only way you'll be able to get hold of their original releases  is via second hand record fairs or Soulseek. For now it's all out of print. All that is apart from their single on Factory records "Time Goes By So Slow"which is available on the Factory Box set and various compilations and which is  ,in my opinion,apart from Love Will Tear Us Apart the best thing ever released on that label.

1 comment:

granata said...

"Unfortunately the only way you'll be able to get hold of their original releases is via second hand record fairs or Soulseek"

Not for long, the compilation album 'Nothing' out in 2011 on Occultation Recordings (www.occultation.co.uk) will contain the debut EP and FAC 12.

Yet another fine piece on Manchester's best kept secret, Tim!