Monday 16 April 2012

Middle of The Month

This month is dragging. Not you understand that I am wishing my life away. At my age (51 in case you’re interested)I can’t afford to be too careless with time. I have lived (probably) longer than I have left to go, and whilst we are not quite at the every day is precious and a gift stage death is not as far over the horizon as it used to be.

I put the sense of time dragging this month firmly down to two things.

Firstly my wife is between jobs. She is waiting to start her new one with a national charity but , it seems as we were told, the Third Sector is very poorly organised and there is a delay in her starting. The Easter holidays haven’t helped as no one of any importance in the organisation has been around. Thus she has had a lot of time on her hands and my mornings/evenings and weekends have been spent saying things for reassurance to her. It makes the days drag by you know.

Reading that back I realise makes me seem heartless and uncaring, but I’m not and I do care.

It’s just that I know my wife and I know that my life is a lot easier (and I can waste hours running, listening to music, idling on the PC, pondering Peterborough’s chances of relegation etc.) when she is busy and occupied and therefore happy and not so bothered about new showers and decorating rooms and things like that. If she’s not occupied and busy I have to pay attention to her ALL the time and make plans to decorate this, replace that etc. Like most men I am essentially lazy. I know that's generalisation and I shouldn't use them but I believe it to be true.

Secondly and, of course for me most importantly, it’s my job. Again. Unfortunately the honeymoon effect of the office move and new area of the city and my exciting public transport commute has worn off already. Barely two months in. I was expecting a good half year of new challenges but so far I haven’t found any to speak of and my enthusiasm has dipped to a very low level. At least in my old office I was pretty busy even if it was with the mundane daily stuff. Whereas in this Office I am either missing the point very badly or in fact nothing much happens. I fear it’s the latter.

On the plus side I have had plenty of time to read about Neuro Linguistic Programming and all the self-help stuff I am interested in and I have had time to brush up on my Spanish and more regularly write for this blog. So things aren’t all bad.

If it wasn’t for our overzealous IT Police team I could while away hours on the Internet at work but I can’t risk it.

I’m going to have to volunteer for bits of additional work in the wider organisation. This is s something I don’t like to do because I don’t like to be taken away from my prime role. But if my prime role doesn’t really seem to exist, I’d better start positioning myself for the time when the powers that be realise there is no need for me here.

No comments: