Saturday 21 April 2012

The Nips



My MP3 player is always set to Shuffle. If you read this nonsense on a regular basis you’ll know that I have posted about this a number of times before. It continues to fascinate me that at least once a week the player throws up a song I haven’t heard in years and can’t remember uploading to the machine. This time it was a song by Shane McGowan’s pre Pogues band The Nips. If you are looking for traces of any Irish accent or influences on this track you won’t find them.

I seem to remember at the time reading that Shane McGowan was a massive Jam devotee and followed them around. I saw them once supporting The Jam at The Music Machine in Camden. They were good but not outstanding.

This song and its B side “Vengeance” are outstanding though and have stood the passing of 30+ years very well.

Thanks to this song I always think fondly of the 73 bus “into the city” despite never having got on it.

Gabrielle- The Nips

No comments: