Friday 4 May 2012

Time Passes

It is sometimes surprising when you stop what you are doing, take stock and realise that time is flying by.

It’s now May and we are over a quarter of the year through.It seems only yesterday I was starting my new role over in another part of the city.But, in fact, it's three months ago. The feeling is a bit like life in general. Here I am 51 years old and two grown up kids. I have been living in Newcastle 21 years now. That’s a lifetime.

My wife starts her new job with a national Charity next week. I am pleased for her. She has got the job she deserves and could use this as a springboard to get an even better job.

I am pleased as well for the whole family as the last two years have been unsettling with my wife working on successive temporary contracts. Although we have done OK it doesn’t feel like it. The basic human need for security wasn’t there and we didn’t really feel able to plan ahead. Now we can at least start to plan and do the things we have been putting off. Like decorating, a new shower cubicle and possibly a decent roofer to overhaul my roof.

I have been scrambling around the loft two or three times over the last week following the torrential downpours we have had. I have spent several hours using emergency roofing repairs materials ( paint, spray and gaffa tape) to try and stop the leak. Last night was my final attempt. Previous attempts have been partially successful but I think I have sorted it now. We will see the next time it tips down.

My son seems to being enjoying Berlin as we haven’t heard from him for a week or so.My daughter is furiously applying for jobs as she has realised she only has £500 to see her through to September.

My bit of excitement has been to buy my ticket for The Wedding Present tour in the autumn.They are playing a Saturday night at the O2 in Newcastle. So it will be an early start and a 10pm finish. The fact that I am quite pleased about that means I am really getting old.

No comments: