Friday 20 March 2009

Music Pt 4

I got the Factory Communications Box set for my birthday present. Track 6 Disc 1 is Time Goes By So Slow by The Distractions.

I tell people it was the music of Joy Division and The Buzzcocks that made me choose Manchester as my University. This is true but its also just as true that it was The Distractions' EP " You're Not Going Out Dressed Like That" that persuaded me to go.

Of all the bands I have loved The Distractions reign supreme. In the 4 years I lived in Manchester I saw them 8 times. This is still my record for seeing a band, even including The Wedding Present. They were unpretentious intelligent pop. They were not very good looking (not even Pip Nicholls the gay bass player). They didn't have a "look" but they could play. They were also nice people. Mike Finney the lead singer recognised me from the audience and stopped at a bus stop and gave me a lift home one time after a gig. Which was nice as the bus was late and I was tired and cold.

They released a few singles , recorded one perfect pop album for Island (Nobody's Perfect), one great EP including the wonderful songs Ghost of A Chance and Love is NotFor Me and then broke up. I still miss them, they just pushed all my "pop" buttons

Here is the song that got me hooked, from that original EP that first made me take notice.

MP3 It Doen't Bother Me

1 comment:

granata said...

Great comments about The Distractions. Come on over to www.thedistractions.co.uk, the official website we've just started. We'd love to hear more from you....