Tuesday 24 February 2009

Music

I have included some details of music I like so far. I have even (successfully I might add) added links to an mp3 file. I have already said that my favourite band is The Wedding Present. I am also heavily involved with Paul Weller in all his incarnations from The Jam onwards. I am also passionate about Embrace ( even travelling to Glasgow from Newcastle to see them- a rare occurrence for me). I will eventually get around to creating my List of bands.

I don't listen to enough music these days. I don't seem to have enough time. That's rubbish of course but I don't get a chance to listen to much music that is new to me. To really sit down and contemplate it the way I used to when I was younger and it seems, had more time. Of course it doesn't help that there is no John Peel replacement to listen to each night before going to sleep, although if I am really honest I stopped being a regular John Peel listener way back in 1980. There are some good shows out there . I have already mentioned Steve Lamacq and Gideon Coe on 6Music. There is Radcliffe and Maconie on Radio Two who play good stuff. Even Jonathan Ross on a Saturday morning has his moments.KEXP.0rg and KRock from Kingston Canada are two good Internet stations.

I think the real problem for me is that music is now everywhere, you don't have to try that hard to find music you like. Music is also big business, even my other teenage heroes The Clash sold out . Yes I know they recorded Complete Control and Sandidnista but they signed to CBS. Didn't get much bigger than that. This is one of the reasons I admire David Gedge and The Wedding Present/Cinerama. He has always done it his way . Which is why he isn't a big British star like he should be.

Musically I am competent on the guitar, but I have no inspiration.I can change chords adequately but without much grace or style. Anyone can play guitar but most of us will not play it very well. An injury to my left wrist 11 years ago also sometimes makes it painful to play so I don't persevere like I should. My son plays well (he should after 18 months of lessons at £20 a pop). My daughter has taught herself in great punk style how to play guitar and she has no problems with keeping time and chord changes. I have written a few songs but they always seem better in my head than when I sing and play them. Ha ha - I just thought I might link to some recordings of me in a future post. That would be fun.

No comments: