Monday 26 April 2010

Cuba

After months of prevaricating and worrying if it is a good idea we have finaly booked a holiday in Cuba. We are going to be staying at Hotel Nacional de Cuba .

I am excited about this trip as we have been wanting to go for years. We were supposed to go the year my wife got pregnant with my son so it's been a long time coming. I love Cuban music, especially Son, so I hope to be hearing lots of it whilst sipping on a Mojito in the sunshine.

We want to get about as well so I will be planning a trip to Trinidad on the island.

Years ago we saw a Cuban band called Sierra Maestra play upstairs at The Riverside (RIP)here in Newcastle.A bizarre experience to see a band of old Cuban musicians playing to a packed club in North East England in the winter. All of Newcastle's middle class folkies were there plus me and the wife. I don't think I have ever seen as many beards together in one room before or since. The band were good and so tight as a unit like they had been playing together forever. They made it look effortless and it seemed like they could play all night.

Here is one of their songs

Dundunbanza- Sierra Maestra
The repetition of the phraases is hypnotic and I defy you not to at least tap your feet to this. Dundunbanza is a witch in case you were wondering.

I hope there are plenty of bands like them to see in Cuba

No comments: