Wednesday 26 December 2012

Christmas Lists


Another year draws to a close. Some years go by slowly,  meandering their way through the seasons. This year has flashed by in a blur of rain.

And now it’s Christmas and what has happened?

The children are growing into nice, well-adjusted adults. It’s a pleasure to be with them.

The wife has got stuck in at her new job, and it has been confirmed as a permanent contract, so we can plan longer term again after two years of short term plans.

The dog is a bit calmer than he was now he is 10 but is still mad.

Music wise it hasn’t been a vintage year but there have been some very good albums released this year. These have been my favourites of the year.

Alt-J Awesome Wave is an intriguing album. Not sure if it was worthy of the Mercury prize but it is  good intelligent pop,the slightly contrived vocal styling puts me off a bit. Matilda is my favourite track on the album.

Allo Darlin- Europe. I was a bit disappointed by this one but there are some gems on it Tallulah being the best.

The Distractions – The End Of The Pier Again like Allo Darlin’s offering I was a bit disappointed but probably only because the weight of expectation that was on this one. It is a well-produced and well played album. The Summer I Met You has become, for me at least, the stand out track.

The Wedding Present- Valentina.  A good solid album. Some future classics ( End Credits, The Girl From The DDR,524 Fidelio ) but other good songs too. Not as good as Take Fountain but better than El Rey.

Field Music- Plumb. This band are sort of Steely Dan/Talking Heads like and I have the same sort of love hate relationship with them as I do with those two bands.But there is no denying that  this is good intelligent stuff.

Keane- Strangeland . My guilty secret? I like Keane, they aren’t great and entirely unoriginal but they are dependable and very nice to listen to.

Sharon Van Etten -Tramp . I discovered her thanks to Jools Holland’s show. This is  a good album, reminiscent of Patti Smith yes but good stuff.

Roberto Fonseca- Yo . I was brought up on jazz and I love Cuban Son and Salsa but Fonseca goes beyond both and including African rhythms takes this album to a new level. I saw him at The Sage earlier this year. Mesmerising and hugely enjoyable.

Paul Weller- Sonik Kicks Not my favourite Weller album but It’s pretty decent.

The XX – Coexist Good follow up to their debut. Angels is haunting.

No comments: