Monday 27 July 2009

Love Will Tear Us Apart

Another argument with the wife yesterday, we "are not friends" apparently. A restless night , couldn't sleep so consequently I am tired today. I didn't feel too good over the weekend (Swine Flu?) but feel a bit better today.

Anyway this song seem quite appropriate for today. It s a live recording from March 1980. A very good version too.

Love Will Tear Us Apart- Joy Division March 1980 ULU

I saw Joy Division on this tour albeit in Manchester not London where this comes from. That was a great night. I'd been at The Apollo with a new mate at Uni, Dennis from Liverpool, to see Iggy Pop and The Psychedelic Furs- who had really caught my attention- so I had already had a great night. We had heard that Joy Division were in the audience at The Apollo and so we took a chance on legging it over to The Osbourne Club on Oldham Road to see if we could catch them. We did and caught the end of A Certain Ratio. A truly great night. Dennis where are you now, mate?

I can't honestly say I thought that this song would be revered as a classic when I heard it played live, I thought Transmission was better. It stunned me when it came out as single several months later and I caught all the words. With Ian Curtis's death still current the despair and the desperation of the lyrics made , and continue to make, a real impact on me. On the other hand I played it to a good friend that summer and his comment was "nice tune but that bloke can't sing". Notwithstanding that it must be in most people- of- a- certain- age's top 10 of best ever songs.

No comments: