Monday 20 July 2009

Monday

After the complete washout that was Friday - I got soaked to the skin walking home- and Saturday- started off fine then pissed down, Sunday was a pleasant Summer's day and I was out in the garden for most of it. Today is OK as well and I am looking forward to the walk home with the MP3 player on.

My son returned home safely and is already and I quote "bored". This was supposed to be the "best Summer ever" and it seems everybody is either away (like he has been) or working. He needs a job to get some money to recoup what he spent in Germany. My wife is pleased to have him back. So am I.

Apparently we don't go out enough. I have pointed out that she (the wife) is nearly always too tired and we have never gone out much but this has not washed. We have to go out more.

I listened to a lot of The Jam this weekend, this was because I Got By In Time came up on my MP3 player when I was out walking the dog on Saturday morning. Listening to it as an old(er) man I was surprised by the perception and maturity of the lyrics bearing in mind Weller was only 18 when he wrote it. The Jam and All Mod Cons in particular remains Weller's finest work. I can understand his don't look back, you should never look back approach and even admire him for it but I would pay stupidly obscene amounts of money to see The Jam play together again. Come on, Paul, do it for the kids!!!

This song isn't by The Jam. Its a Northern Soul song that I came across by chance on another site. It was The Jam's Non Stop Dancing from their first album that got me interested in Northern Soul. I don't know if a young Paul Weller danced the night away in Woking to this but it is a classic. Enjoy!

Boy Watcher- Ginger Thompson

No comments: