Saturday 4 July 2009

The Day After

Was out last night which in itself is a miracle as I don't go out much, especially not with work colleagues. But this was something special. My mate Mick McGuinness has left work and is moving to Belgium with his family. I've mentioned him before. He is a musician, author, father, partner (to Karin) and all round top bloke. I will miss him a lot. We didn't hang out much, didn't even talk that much but he was there and I knew he was there. Now he is not there.

The Internet, mobiles etc will make keeping in contact easier but I will miss him. He was quite emotional at the end of the evening standing outside the bar on Osborne Road. So was I, I hugged him twice before walking home over the Moor.

His book, a collection of short stories called Blunt Wound Trauma is available from Amazon. Its chilling, a good read and hints at a greater work to come. Buy it and help him make a go of it.

Good luck, Mick and au revoir or whatever it is in Flemish. You're a brave man, braver than me.

At this time of year I always feel that I should listen to more Spanish music and read more Spanish/Lat Am literature. I don't, of course , but I still feel it.

This band Vetusta Morla are a good Spanish rock band and worth a listen

Iglus- Vetusta Morla

You can google them for their website and download this EP.It's not earth shatteringly original but they have an edge, a presence which crosses any linguistic boundaries. They're based in Madrid and touring this summer.

No comments: