Saturday 10 December 2011

Another Song You Should Hear

This song popped into my head the other day. I dug out the vinyl and played it. Still so powerful 30 years on. Maybe it is all the reports into the riots, blaming the Police and their "oppression" that made me think of this. As a middle aged, middle class white male I never have any problems with the Police. Even as a youngster my contact in suburban Hertfordshire was minimal and mainly confined to a couple of times when names were taken for being young and out late at night. I work closely with the Police in my job and my impressions of them are that they are decent men and women , not too bright mostly but very world weary and cynical.

I was moved to hook up the record player to the PC and make this the first song I have transferred from vinyl  for your enjoyment.

I saw Linton Kwesi Johnson the year this came out (1979). My memory is more of Rico and the brass section than the rather serious and sombre Mr Johnson who looked ill at ease performing his poetry to a mainly white audience at The Marquee.

This pre dates rap and is closer to "toasting" that many reggae artists did at the time. The song is from the album Forces Of Victory which is well worth buying. 

I didn't  know what happened to Linton Kwesi Johnson after this so I Googled him here.

Sonny's Lettah ( Anti Sus Poem)- Linton Kwesi Johnson

No comments: