Monday 19 December 2011

Inspirational

After months of not featuring this series here I am posting two songs in a short time. This is what comes of having too much time on your hands and hooking up your turntable to your PC.

This song is a particular inspiration to me. When I fist heard it I was unemployed and living with my future wife in the cockroach infested concrete jungle of no hope council flats that was the Hulme estate   in Manchester.Times were so tough – even tougher than they are now- to paraphrase the song.  

I heard this song played, I think, by Janice Long, in late 1982 and Pete Wylie’s tale of rejection and refusing to accept it made me realise that I wasn't alone and that there was away through it all.  I still listen to this song often and it always moves me. I have on occasion found myself quoting it when speaking to people. This is not just pop music, this is proper art.

This song  also made me  read Jack Kerouac’s On the Road, which if you haven't read then you should.

No comments: