Saturday 11 June 2011

Saturday

During the week my father in law walks the dog during the day and I walk him in the evening. At the weekends I walk him twice.

Of these walks Saturday's are the ones I enjoy most. That is mainly due to two BBC Radio programmes which are (almost) for me worth the Licence Fee alone.

Saturday morning's walk across Nuns Moor is soundtracked by Radio Two's Brian Matthews' long running Sounds of The Sixties show. I love this programme as it plays so many tunes I remember as a (very) young lad growing up and songs that  I couldn't possibly remember and were almost certainly never played in my house.  I have discovered some great songs I never knew existed on this show and even on dull wet and windy days such as today this programme brings a smile to my face and a warm feeling in my heart.  Listen to it on iplayer if you've never heard it.

At night I listen to BBC Radio Newcastle's Beat Surrender programme.  Those of you of a certain age might conclude quite correctly from the title that this plays music from a certain period. ( for those of you too young to have guessed that, well go ask your Mum or Dad). Indeed on this show you are guaranteed to hear The Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Jam , Buzzcocks, Joy Dvision and sundry punk/new wave oldies like tonight and Eddie and The Hot Rods, Martha and The Muffins,Big Audio Dynamite, The Ruts, and occasional Prince Buster and other ska songs. Sometimes they play  current local bands such as The Vinyl Jackets. You can listen again to this one on line as well.

No comments: