Thursday 26 July 2012

Running On Empty


I did the BUPA Gateshead 10k  run last weekend. I had a severe cold all the week leading up to it and if it wasn’t for the fact that I had missed the Sunderland 10k due to injury I wouldn’t have run. The lack of fitness and my cold told in my embarrassingly slow time of 62:54- over 4 minutes slower than last year.

Still I did it got my T shirt and medal. Felt a bit rough for the rest of the day and still don’t feel all too good now three days later.

The course is described as picturesque. Well if your definition of picturesque is running through an industrial estate  then it fits the bill. It is a bit like describing Kielder Marathon as an undulating course.

It was the usual very slick and professional performance from the Great Run team. Plenty of toilets and PowerAde available. A manic Scottish warm up woman ( Donna something or other) and the usual radio DJ banter.

Weirdly as I took up my position in the white wave of runners a sudden surge of south east Asian men in red t shirts and blue shorts appeared. Two hundred of them  in fact. Apparently they are Ghurkhas based at Catterick at the moment . They were pretty excitable and obviously thought that Donna was a bit mad as they joined in the warm up.

I look forward to this year’s GNR knowing I need to do a lot more training to get fit for the challenge. Especially as my sister in law is running it.

No comments: