Saturday 5 September 2009

When Saturday Comes

I have had a bit of a break from updating this Blog. It was a combination of being busy at work and at home, a bit of writer's block (ha pretentious or what!)and a lack of anything meaningful to say.

My son enjoyed the Leeds Festival in particular White Lies, The Gaslight Anthem and Glasvegas. He came back on Monday absolutely shattered and it has taken him all week to recover.

Preparations have begun to get him off to London.As he's self catering we have got to buy his pots and pans etc. God knows how he'll survive but I know that's what my Mum and Dad thought thirty years ago when I went to Uni. And I survived.

My daughter has enjoyed her post GCSE celebrations which culminated in a night out clubbing in Newcastle last night. She has a hangover this morning she tells us.She tells us too much but rather that than lying to us. Now I know she is only 16 and we are not too sure what our reactions to this should be. I didn't go clubbing when I was sixteen but then again I didn't live in a City so there were no clubs for me to go to. I certainly went in Pubs and I am happier if she does that rather than sit on the Moor getting pissed like a lot of kids her age.She is particularly pleased that she didn't get ID'd by the door staff as did some of her friends.

My wife has broken out in some horrible allergic skin reaction. Its probably the stress of her work at the moment as she is almost certainly facing redundancy. Oh yes she'll get a handsome pay off but I know she would rather carry on in her job.

Music wise it has been a retro week. Following my rediscovery of my Minidisc player I have dug out some old Wedding Present discs and have been listening to them all week.
This song has grown on me over the years I didn't like it much when I first heard it. It was on the Nobody's Twisting Your Arm 12" which is not in print so I don't have a problem posting it.

I'm Not Always So Stupid - The Wedding Present

The song follows the usual Gedge pathway and obsession- love and relationships.It has some really great immature guitar as did all their early stuff.Hard to think that this is 20+ years old now.

No comments: