Saturday 31 October 2009

Saturday Night On The PC....

Who knows what music we will listen to. Wife and daughter are downstairs watching Strictly Come Dancing.Watching this is one of the few occasions when they can be in the same room together for any length of time without arguing.. so I can relax for a couple of hours and listen to some music.

It's Saturday night after a very warm and mild October day. Can't believe it's November tomorrow. It's almost time to look back and wonder where the year went.

Haven't done much today, was up early as my wife is still not sleeping properly and getting up at stupid early times.We went to see her parents. My in laws have gone into Christmas preparation mode (yes I know it's a bit early but that's them) and are hassling us for ideas for presents for the kids. Will have to get my thinking cap on. Did a bit of shopping, watched Spurs get hammered by the Arse on Sky and kept an eye on the Peterborough score (they lost as well).

When I was a young man, pre University Saturday nights sometimes meant going into London to see bands. I saw this lot one Saturday in the summer of '79 at The Greyhound in Fulham. My mate Simon drove us down in his mini and parked up at Kings Cross and me him and his girlfriend Laura got the Tube over. The gig was fantastic. This was the second time I had seen them. I had bought their first single (I think)- a great cover of The Troggs Can't Control Myself. Live they were outstanding. This song used to lead to mass stage invasions and lots of singalongs.

I went off to Manchester that Autumn and the band seemed to just disappear from the scene. Along with Back To Zero, Long Tall Shorty, Secret Affair,Squire, Merton Parkas and The Chords and The Jam and their album All Mod Cons ( probably the best album ever recorded)this lot kept me interested in music as a young man beyond punk and the New Wave.

The Teenbeats - Strength of A Nation

I have seen the original 7" single of this for sale on Ebay for £25. I thought they would be big stars, once again I was wrong.

After the gig the three of us got back to the car and got in. As we did so we were immediately surrounded by Police shouting at us to get out of the car. It seems they were convinced that Laura was a prostitute and we were her Johns. It never occurred to us being nice middle class Home Counties boys that the two of us getting into a car with a young girl around Kings Cross could be looked at as suspicious.

UPDATE A bit of googling after I posted this revealed that Dave Blackman the drummer with The Teenbeats died suddenly on stage in his hometown of Hastings last year. RIP

No comments: