Monday 2 November 2009

Back to the Future

After a week off my wife is back in work and being told that she is being made redundant and getting her 90 day notice letter.She has been offered another job in the 5th tier of management (after being 2nd tier for 10 years). The pay is frozen for 5 years and then drops to the new level which is currently £15 k below what she earns now.

Now, what to do? My advice all long has been for her to leave , take her redundancy and get another job using the redundancy to subsidise any lower salary and paying off some debt along the way.She is torn between staying and going. She has lost all confidence going through this process and doesn't think she could get another job at the same level anywhere else.
I just want her to be happy and I can't see her being happy staying and watching erstwhile "close" colleagues who have done nothing to support her, continuing to operate at a higher level than her and knowing their salaries are still increasing due to their progression through the grades whilst hers gets effectively less and less.
God knows I have had to come to terms with second raters going past me in the promotion race and I know it would really do my wife no good at all to have to come to terms with it as I have had to. I want her to take some control back and say No to her boss and leave on her own terms rather than be airbrushed out of the management structure. Life isn't all about money, it's about dignity and self respect as well. It would mean big changes but I am ready for that. Not sure she is though. My brother-in-law's experiences since being made unexpectedly redundant a year ago haven't helped, only hindered her taking the right decision. Both him and my wife want, as we all do ,security. Sometimes there is security in trusting your own judgement and making that hard decision.

My brother-in-law has prevaricated about taking a job with an hour and half daily commute each way but finally has decided to take it. I think it's another mistake but I wish him success.

I suppose that this is just another part of getting older. Your parents get more doddery and then die, your kids leave and you don't get that promotion you have been looking for.

No comments: