Tuesday 11 January 2011

Location, Location, Location

Song Number two in this occasional series is from that most iconic of all bands The Velvet Underground. 

If you have never heard their material you are really missing out on one of the truly great bands of rock (ouch!), up there with The Beatles, The Stones, Beach Boys The Who, The Clash. etc etc.  

It was Radio Caroline not John Peel who introduced me to this band, although they  did only ever seem to play this one song. It did take John Peel  however,to introduce me to the depth of their genius by  playing  songs from the double live album on his show.

Now there are so many of their songs that you should hear especially from the Banana album (The Velvet Underground & Nico) but I have chosen that Radio Caroline favourite. Funnily enough, despite its subject matter, this song, like Lou Reed’s Walk On The Wild Side was openly played on daytime radio in the late 60’s and early 70's.

I have been to New York twice. During our visit last year I actually made it up to Lexington and 125 albeit on a tour. I was so excited to be at the spot described in the song. Is that sad? Probably.

This version is from the legendary Norman Dolph acetates. Despite all the fuss about these "different takes", most of them sound like demos to me.

I'm Waiting For The Man- The Velvet Underground

No comments: