Wednesday 4 January 2012

2011 Review

Happy New Year to you all. A bit late but better late than never, I say.So 2011, a good year? Or a bad year? For the world economy it was a poor year. For my economy it was a good year. The remortgaging saga was worth it in the end.

For the kids it was a mixed year.Son on his year abroad doing fine, daughter starting at college- didn’t quite get what she wanted- but enjoying it all the same and back with her boyfriend. For the wife, a frustrating year she delivered what she was employed to do but hasn’t enjoyed it. For me, Well here I am still sat at the same desk so in one way a poor year for me. But I did get a pay rise (!!!) after a lot of hassle and negotiation which for the public sector at this time is pretty good going.

The dog is now 9 but still lively as ever.

For music, it was an OK year- not outstanding but good. I particularly enjoyed Fleet Foxes' Helplessness Blues and Florence and The Machine’s Ceremonials. Brett Anderson delivered a solid new album in Black Rainbows. Adele’s 21 was a surprise for me. I sort of liked 19 but wasn’t struck overall. 21 is a brilliant mature (both musically and lyrically) album. Well worth owning. PJ Harvey’s Let England Shake was classic PJ Harvey.I have never been completely convinced by her but if you like her stuff its good. Haven’t bought or downloaded a lot of music this year but have really enjoyed discovering new music via Blogs and 6 Music and other places.

Looking forward, again we face uncertainty come the end of March with my wife’s contract ending. I am strangely not worried about this. I think we will be OK. The kids will continue to develop and grow into the good adults we raised them to be (here’s hoping)

In reality though , who knows what lies over the horizon. Nobody predicted the Arab Spring or Libya or the Euro crsis this time last year so I am not going to place any bets on what will happen this year to the world or me or the family.

No comments: