Saturday 9 January 2010

White Out

There has been snow on the ground here since 17th Dec. I can't remember a time when it has been so cold for so long. On Thursday morning when I left for work it was minus 8 degrees centigrade. Today it seems quite warm as it has actually got up to 2 degrees c.

Our road and pavement are a disgrace. It has not been cleared since the first snow fell except by the residents. I don't want to go all " I pay my council tax..." but the Council could have tried once in the last three weeks to clear some of the pavements across the city. I wonder how many slips, trips and falls there have been during this exceptional period. It will be chaos next week when everyone is back at work/school.

My son has gone back to London the house is quieter again. It's not that he is a noisy boy but he bickers with, and winds up, his sister which in turn sets the dog off and madness reigns with much shouting and barking. I miss that but I also am enjoying the quiet.

PC at home is still not fixed so I must get that sorted. I am listening to Beat Surrender on Radio Newcastle. It is one of those strange programmes that you sometimes get on BBC local radio amongst the middle of the road rubbish and endless phone ins. In the last 10 minutes they have palyed The Skids, Dr Feelgood and The Stranglers.

Christmas is now but a memory but this song still seems appropriate with the weather we are having.

Cocteau Twins- Winter Wonderland

I always liked The Cocteau Twins but I was in a minority amongst our friends back in the 80's. I well remember one dinner party when I was begged by all present to get "that whining shite" off the stereo. They wanted Sade on instead.

No comments: