Thursday 4 June 2009

Voting Day

Here in UK and Europa land its election time. Now I am a pretty cynical middle aged voter and the last few weeks of Torygraph disclosures about MP expenses haven't endeared our political masters to me, but I will vote as usual. I believe its the least I can do (indeed it is the only "political" thing I do).

On the other hand, my 18 year old son is, by his own admission, "quite excited" about having a chance to vote for the first time. This has made me think that voting, often derided as not important, really is an important part of our democracy.So important that I believe it should be made compulsory to vote as I think it is in Australia. Come on, 5 minutes every year is not too much to ask of the people, is it?

So we are off en famille to vote tonight. I remember voting in Hulme, Manchester as a young man.We arrived at the Polling staion at the same time as our neighbours , a gruff Scottish couple probably no older than us but with three kids. It was apparently the first time of voting for the woman who said to her man "What do I do?". " Vote Labour" was the reply. Aaah it was so easy in the early Eighties. Whatever you don't do today, make sure you DO vote. I don't care who you vote for (if you want to vote BNP then that is your right, you racist moron) but please exercise your right to do so. Think of all the young 18 year olds like my son who are "quite excited" about voting.Remember that in some countries you can't vote. Remember that by voting you can change the world (Obama?). And if after all you don't vote, then you get what you deserve.

No comments: